Consumer Safety Information
Propane (LP Gas) has long been recognized as a safe, clean, versatile and readily available fuel. The vast majority of mishaps involving propane are caused by the lack of knowledge about the handling of this potentially hazardous product. Please note the safety procedures below so you can become more aware of the safe usage of propane within the home or workplace.
- In its natural state, propane is odorless and a colorless gas.
- Propane is stored as a liquid under pressure in tanks and cylinders.
- If propane comes into contact with your skin it can result in frostbite.
- Concentrations of propane may cause flash fires or exposures.
- A chemical odorant has been added to propane to give it a distinct smell.
- The purpose of the odorant is to help people detect the presence of propane. Unlike natural gas, propane is heavier than air and it may collect at floor level or in other low areas before it begins to dissipate.
- Even a slight odor may signal a serious propane gas leak, and you need to take immediate action if you smell gas or suspect a leak.
If you smell gas
- DO get everyone out of the home or area and away from the nearby leak.
- DO NOT attempt to find the leak
- DO NOT attempt to repair your appliance or light your pilot light.
- DO NOT turn on or off the light switches inside the home.
- DO NOT use a telephone inside the home or from a nearby area.
- DO NOT light matches anywhere inside or near the home.
- DO attempt to shut off the valve at the tank.
- DO call your propane supplier and the fire department for help by using a phone that is away from the home and nearby area.
- DO get your system checked. Before you attempt to use any of your propane applicances, your propane retailer or a qualified service technician must check your entire system to ensure that it is leak-free.